I created this smoothie while on a quest to figure out how to meet my new diet requirements, as a way to heal my PCOS, and still enjoy my food. In order to heal, I am eating high fat, low glycemic, gluten-free, soy-free, corn-free, tropical-fruit-free, and alcohol-free - on top of my already vegan diet. I am learning that I would prefer not to label my diet, though, because I am just experimenting! Maybe one day "vegan" won't feel good. Maybe one day I'll learn that alcohol in moderation is fine, but eating soy really isn't. Of course I will always believe that it's important to minimize our footprint on our beautiful Earth, but there are so many ways to do that. For example, growing my own food and sourcing all my food within a 50km radius. I think being judgemental towards others (and towards ourselves) for not staying in the box they are currently in is kind of the opposite of spreading love, so we should probably loosen up on those labels.
Anyways, that's neither here nor there. You came here for a smoothie recipe, so I'm gonna give you a smoothie recipe.
Berry Friendly Smoothie
- 1/2 avocado, or heaping 1/3 cup frozen avocado chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower (or cut, steam, then freeze your own)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries, or berry of choice
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups unsweetened plant milk, depending on desired thickness of smoothie & quality of your blender (I like mine thicc)
- 1/4 tsp maca powder
- 1 tsp flax oil
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- optional: while I do not add any banana into this smoothie, if you are new to less-sweet smoothies or are beginning to subside your sweet tooth, you can add 1/2 banana! Have a taste before you add the banana, and if it's not sweet enough go ahead and add it. Slowly reduce amount of banana once your taste buds adjust to a lower-sugar smoothie - they will, I promise!
Simply blend all ingredients together! Easy peasy! Berry friendly to your bod!!
Thickeners: chia seeds and avocado thicken this lil' beb up without any help from banana
Hormone balancers: the combo of maca powder, flax oil, and avocado do wonders to help heal hormone imbalances
Sweetness: berries provide sweetness without increasing blood sugar levels the way tropical fruits do
I hope you enjoy this healing smoothie!