These delicious chocolate-hazelnut energy bites of childhood nostalgia are proof that miracles exist. They are filled with good stuff like hormone-balancing maca, protein-packed sunflower seeds and almonds, and blood sugar-stabilizing powers thanks to true cinnamon & fats from coconut oil. These are gluten-free, vegan, refined-sugar free, can be made grain-free, and seriously addicting, I am proud of these lil' nuggets that everyone can enjoy!
Ferrero Rocher Energy Bites
Makes 18-24 bites
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup rolled oats (if making grain-free, replace with 1/2 cup dry, raw cashews)
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup cacao powder
1 tbsp maca powder (not necessary, but recommended)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 heaping tbsp (or heaping 1/4 cup) hazelnut butter (sub any natural nut butter you have)
~15 dates (or 1 cup), soaked
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
generous pinch or two of pink Himalayan salt
1. Boil water, and then soak dates in boiled water while you prep and begin assembling other ingredients. I find this helpful because sometimes my food processor doesn't break up the dates enough and soaking them makes the dates easier to blend.
2. In a food processor or blender, blend the almonds, oats, sunflower seeds, cacao powder, maca powder, and cinnamon.
3. If using a food processor, add the hazelnut butter and blend again. If using a blender, pour dry ingredients from blender into a bowl and then add the hazelnut butter and mix in with hands or spoon.
4. Melt coconut oil, in the microwave or on stovetop.
5. Add dates into food processor or blender and blend. If using blender, add the blended dates into your mixing bowl. If you're having trouble blending, you can try adding your melted coconut oil here to help with that.
6. If you haven't already, pour ingredients into a mixing bowl. Mash up any of the dates that didn't get blended.
7. Add melted coconut oil (if still needed), maple syrup, and salt, then mix with a spoon until well incorporated. Mixture should be coarse, but when you pinch some together it should hold shape.
8. Roll into balls, 1-2 tbsp big.
9. Place in fridge for ~20 minutes for coconut oil to help strengthen the bites, or eat right away like I did because they are truly incredibly irresistible.
Ah, all of the flavour and none of the sugar crashes! Goal achieved!
If you try these, please let me know! Send me a picture or tag me on instagram @killahjustice